1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
Got pregnant (twice);had a miscarriage; had an ectopic pregnancy; got a “new” car that wasn’t really new;started composting; taught summer school; went snorkeling; joined a CSA (two actually); went on a couples vacation
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I don’t think I made any last year and I won’t make any this year. I resolve not to resolve.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Several friends and my sister
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My great-great Aunt Jessie Mae
5. What countries did you visit?
Mexico, on a cruise
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A healthy pregnancy that results in a healthy baby
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
May 9 – my last 20-something birthday July 8 – First positive pregnancy test. July 25 – miscarriage #1. August 9 – Niece Hallie was born.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
“Greening” my life and becoming more of an advocate for buying and eating locally. Looking at tags and not buying things that said Made in China. Voting with every dollar I spend for the future that I believe in.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Why do all these questions seem to have the same answer?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
A miscarriage. An ectopic pregnancy. Several small colds.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
20 sessions with a personal trainer; Wii and WiiFit
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My friends. My husband.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled?
My family off and on (as usual); “Republicans” who love Sarah Palin but can’t tell me why; every low-life I read about in the news who did something terrible to a child or an animal; Spencer Pratt
14. Where did most of your money go?
Paying off credit card debt that belongs to someone else.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Going on a cruise.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Anything by ABBA; the Texas Lotto jingle they play on the radio
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier in some ways, sadder in others
ii. thinner or fatter? Unfortunately probably exactly the same
iii. richer or poorer? Richer, though not by much
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
I am pretty happy with the balance I struck last year.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worrying about things that are beyond my control. Maybe watching a little less trashy reality TV.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
We spent it in Lumberton alternating between Eric’s family and my family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I think the love I have for Eric grew even stronger.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
The Office, LOST, Top Chef
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Nah, I still hate all the same people :)
24. What was the best book you read?
My 2008 Top Five: The Fire & Ice Series, Breaking Dawn, The Thinking Woman’s Guide to a Better Birth, Taking Charge of Your Fertility, Whirligig
25. What was your greatest musical discovery of 2008?
I have no idea.
26. What did you want and get?
A new laptop, a new car
27. What did you want and not get?
Aside from the obvious, a Blackberry
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
The Business of Being Born, Sex and the City, Mamma Mia
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 29. On my actual birthday we discovered one of our favorite restaurants, Main Street Grill. The next day we had a (sweltering) dinner with all my friends at Z’Tejas and then back to the house for cake and fun.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Aside from the obvious, less stress.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
It seems like I traded out my usual pajama pants for the more socially acceptable work-out pants. I stopped using makeup almost entirely because of my acne.
32. What kept you sane?
Eric; having to go to work every day and keep focused on a task at hand; the girls in my Pregnancy Loss group
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The (lack of) care of the environment/animals
35. Who did you miss?
I miss a lot of people I used to spend more time with.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
IRL, Carol, the newest member of my team at school. I’ve gotten to know and love tikifreak, as well as the girls in my loss group.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
I'm still working on this one.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said that it would be this hard
Oh take me back to the start…